In this sizzling scorcher of a summer there are lots of fun ways to cool down, but one of the best is undoubtedly with a cooling long drink with plenty of ice and of course a splash of gin. We have asked all the distillers who are joining us at A Splash of Gin on the Three Wine Men’s Christmas tour in Manchester, London and Cardiff to send us their favourite summer gin recipes. It has produced an abundance of different flavours and styles from old favourites to new taste experiences – and all mixed with our favourite tonics and mixers from Luscombe.
The traditional methods G&T…
Take a Copa Glass and fill to the brim with large ice-cubes. Use a barspoon to stir the ice and chill the glass. Strain off any water from the glass. Now add 50ml Brockmans Gin. Gently top with chilled Luscombe Devon Tonic Water, over a barspoon if necessary, to preserve as much of the effervescence as possible. Slowly stir to mix and allow the ice to chill everything. Finally, garnish with fresh blueberries and a twist of pink grapefruit peel. A squeeze of the peel over the glass will allow the fragrance of the oils to be released.
And for more taste explosions…
- 50ml of Rock Rose Gin Summer Edition
- 100ml of Luscombe Cucumber Tonic Water
- Fresh borage flowers or if difficult to find use rose petals instead
- 50ml Trevethan Honey Oak Gin
- 25ml Dry Vermouth served over I’ve with a few drops of Angostura bitters
- Top up with Luscombe Mostly Devon Apple Juice
- A slice of apple and a sprig of mint
Fill a tall glass with ice and add liquid. Stir until ice cold the strain into chilled martini glass. Take a slice of grapefruit peel and twist over drink to release the oils over drink.
- 35ml Manchester Raspberry Gin
- 20ml Aperol
- 10ml Fresh lemon juice
- Top up with Luscombe Elderflower Tonic
- Fresh raspberries and mint
- 50ml Didsbury Raspberry & Elderflower Gin
- 200ml Luscombe Sicilian Lemonade
- 10 fresh raspberries
- A sprig of mint and fresh lemon slices
Muddle raspberries in bottom of glass then add lots of ice and pour over liquid, stir to mix and add mint and fresh lemon slices.
Makes 1l of Garden Punch to be served in a 2l jug with ice:
- 300ml One Gin
- 200ml Luscombe Elderflower Tonic Water
- 200ml Green tea
- 200ml Luscombe English Apple Juice
- 50ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 50ml elderflower liqueur
- 25 ml Cambridge Distillery Dry Gin
- 15ml Cambridge Elderflower Liqueur
- 10ml Suze Gentian
- Top up with Luscombe Elderflower tonic
- Crab apple (optional) and mint
Pour gin, gin liqueur and suze into a highball glass filled with ice and top with tonic. Garnish with crab apple and mint.