Top Red Wines from Castilla y León, Spain
Join Spanish wine expert Tim Atkin MW as he tastes and talks through a trio of outstanding red wines from Castilla y León, one of Spain’s most diverse wine-producing regions. He will be chatting to the team behind each wine and finding out what makes them so special.
“Castilla y León makes some of the most distinctive red wines in Spain, many of them based on the Tempranillo grape. I really enjoyed sampling a range to choose the wines for this tasting. Representing the area’s three most famous red wine denominaciones de origen – Ribera del Duero, Toro and Bierzo – these are a Tempranillo (or Tinto de Toro), a Mencía and a high-altitude cuvée of Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon. I can’t wait to share them with you.” says Tim.
When you book you will receive a bottle of each of the following sought-after wines:
- Jose Antonio García Aires de Vendimia Mencía de Valtuille 2018, Bierzo
“Made by José Antonio García, one of the rising stars of Bierzo, this superb old-vine blend of Mencía with 4% of other co-planted red and white varieties has lovely stemmy complexity from 100% whole bunches, graceful tannins, sweet wild strawberry fruit and levels of complexity that wouldn’t look out of place in a Premier Cru Burgundy. 96 points”
- Dominio Basconcillos Viña Magna Crianza 2017, Ribera del Duero
“Combining Tinto Fino with 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, both from one of the coolest sites in Burgos, this is a superbly balanced Ribera that spends 14 months in new wood, but has the structure to cope. Polished and refined, with mint, cassis and chocolate flavours and racy, palate-cleansing acidity. 93 points”
- Elías Mora Crianza 2016, Toro
“This is ‘just’ a Crianza, but it has lovely perfume, balance and precision, with chalky freshness and brightness, fine-boned tannins, violet and red berry fruit and the subtlest dusting of French and American oak. Elegant, even at 15% alcohol. 92 points”
Price: £70 (inc P&P) delivered to your door (to arrive by Wed 9th Dec)
The tasting pack includes a bottle each of the wines plus access to the webinar – a Zoom link will be sent to you 24 hours before the tasting.
Or, if you just fancy logging in without the wines, webinar access only is £10 per device.
Other things to look out for
How the virtual event works
Virtual Zoom tasting
- Your place at the tasting is included in the price of the wine package
- The virtual tasting will be hosted on Zoom as a webinar. Your Zoom invitation with a link will be emailed to you 24 hours before the tasting using the email address used to process your purchase
- Your screen name must match your booking with us so that we can ensure the best possible online security for all involved
- If the email with the link has not arrived 24 hours before tasting please check your spam folder and if not there then please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your access code is unique to your device, therefore, anyone not visible on our list of purchasers will not be allowed to enter the tasting